Don’t let the cold catch you out. As we all start to dig out our gloves, hats, scarfs and jumpers, it’s also important to think about preparing your home for the drop in temperature. There are simple steps you can take to wrap up your home and avoid leaks and burst water pipes over the winter.
- Wrap up your pipes and water tanks with lagging – especially those in unheated areas such as lofts, garages or gardens
- Fix dripping taps – even a small trickle can result in a frozen pipe
- Find your inside stop tap (usually under the kitchen sink) and make sure you can turn it off
- Leave the heating on low if you go away
- Check your central heating boiler has been serviced
- Keep the contact details of a reputable plumber to hand
Further advice can be sought: