Just opposite Christchurch in Rough Street is the entrance to the Churchyard through the lychgate which was constructed in 1920 as a memorial to those who fell in World War 1. Later, the names of those who fell in World War 2 were added.
The Churchyard was established on 8th August 1911 and by the mid 1970’s no more burials were possible as it was full. The area around the church itself had been closed to burials for some time.
The maintenance of the Churchyard became an impossible task for Christchurch and help was offered initially by ‘Friends of Lanner Churchyard’ and latterly by Lanner Parish Council. This has supported regular grass cutting and in following good practice protected the flora and fauna in the area. In 2019 Christchurch was successful in an application to formally ‘close’ the Churchyard; this means the facility now falls under the protection of Cornwall Council. As part of partnership working the Parish Council continues to cut the grass, with a small remittance from the unitary authority. With support from volunteers, it is work will be extended to cover boundary hedge maintenance, clearance of vegetation encroaching into plots and the relocation of shrubs/bushes.
There are few elaborate headstones in the graveyard and many plots are unmarked, reflecting the relative lack of wealth in the area. There are two war graves for those who served in WWII and two burials of clergy; the latter are easy to spot as in line with protocol the headstones face in the opposite direction. The tradition of never ‘turning one’s back on one’s congregation’ is adhered to!
Unfortunately, there are no official burial records for either of the first two churchyards. There are at least 670 graves in the churchyard and information about burials is available at https://www.cornwallminingvillagechurchyards.net/.
There is a rich biodiversity in the churchyard with a colourful display of bluebells and primroses and fauna include woodpeckers, foxes and many songbirds that enjoy the fruits available from the holly trees!