Lanner Parish Council Minutes 28 March 2019

Lanner Parish Council – Minutes of the Parish Council Meeting held on Thursday 28 March 2019 in the Village Hall, commencing 7.00 pm.

Present: Cllr. Wood (Chair), Cllr Anson; Cllr Bosworth, Cllr Luscombe, Cllr Marshall and Cllr Wearne.
In attendance: Mrs E Youlton, Clerk.

PC19/41: Apologies for absence:
Cllr Repper (family illness); CC John Thomas

PC19/42: Declarations of pecuniary and/or non-pecuniary interests relating to items on the agenda and the details thereof.
None

PC19/43: To consider written requests for dispensation:
None

PC19/44: To receive report from Cornwall Councillor John Thomas:
Cllr Thomas submitted written notes which are appended to these Minutes.

PC19/45: Administration:

  • To report resignation of Cllr Matthew Blewett and confirm electoral procedures.
    Council noted the resignation of Cllr Blewett caused by his need to spend more time on the Doctorate degree which he is pursuing and extended sincere thanks for all his efforts on behalf of Council and the community. It was noted that Cllr Blewett was the appointed Council representative to the Carn Marth Trust. Cllr Bosworth offered to cover a dual role in this area, and this was gratefully accepted.
  • To elect a Vice Chairman
    Nominations had been received in respect of Cllr Luscombe.
    Proposed: Cllr Marshall
    Seconded: Cllr Wearne
    All in favour. Resolved: Cllr Luscombe is appointed as Vice Chairman
  • To accept minutes of the meeting held on 28 February 2019
    Resolved: Minutes of the meeting were approved and duly signed by the Chairman.
  • Matters arising from the Minutes not covered elsewhere on the agenda.
    Local Governance Review – it was noted that further indication of interest had been invited by Cornwall Council in relation to review of boundaries and numbers of Cllrs. It was resolved to reiterate previous request for no change to the existing parish boundaries but an increase in Council membership by two positions to a total of 11 members. Supporting information and rationale for these proposals would also be included.
  • To receive report from Clerk(s) for March 2019.
    A spreadsheet detailing the number of visits to the Council Office, defects and matters of concern reported to Cornwall Council had been circulated. The report was noted.
  • To consider adopting the following policies:
    Health & Safety Policy, Equal Opportunities.
    It was resolved to adopt the Equal Opportunities Policy. Further revision of the Health & Safety Policy would be undertaken.
  • To note Cornwall Council Polling Places Review
    The brief of the review was noted, and notification of this matter had been displayed on notice boards and on the website. There did not appear to be any changes proposed for Lanner.

PC19/46: Financial Matters & Accounts for Payment:

NameSubjectAmount
Mr D HallVillage maint£445.42
Mrs D Moon Toilets£62.00
Mr M HeatherMaint. Progs.£1188.15
Mr. P Mahoney - StreamlineWebsite maintenance & maps£200.00
Mrs E Youltonreimbursements£8.99
Mrs T Marshallreimbursements£26.89
Mr M Caddycemetery project£1158.00
HMRC£271.27
Staff costs£1535.66
D Tresiserepairs at Churchyard£1230.00
M Caddycemetery extension£1155.00
Barry Webbcemetery extension£706.00
Land registry searches£7.00
Mole Valleysoil test£84.00
Curry’s/PC World IT equipment£1716.99
Luscombe construction rock salt£214.50
Cllr WoodChairman’s Allowance£290.93
Cllr LuscombeMembers Allowance£196.96
Cllr Marshall Members Allowance£196.96
Hags play equipment£9840.00
Lanner Village Hall rent/telephone/internet£2241.16
Mr. T Wearne reimbursement repairs£75.53
£21693.41

Financial statements & payments for the month of March were presented to Council, approved and are appended to these Minutes. Full Accounts also appear on the website.
In order to ensure enough funds were appropriately available a transfer of £15 000 was authorised by Council.
Thanks, were extended to the Clerks for the production of accurate, informative financial reports and ensuring effective management of funds throughout the preceding financial year. Assistant Clerk, Teresa Marshall, had worked hard to make full and effective use of the Scribe software and this was commended.

PC18/47: Highways and Transport: – Cllrs Wearne and Wood

  • To report following meeting with partner parishes, Stithians & Gwennap, regarding mobile speed activated signs and to consider increasing allocated funds for joint purchase of three signs. Consideration also of potential sites for signs.
    Quotations for the purchase of three mobile speed signs had been received and it was resolved to proceed with joint purchase with the Councils of Gwennap and Stithians at a cost of £2000 per parish. The signs would then rotate through the villages at agreed intervals. Possible locations for the signs would be invited from Councillors, Speedwatch and CC John Thomas: approval would then be sought from Adrian Drake, Highways Manager. Priority locations would likely include points along the A393, Pennance Road and Trevarth.
  • To report submission of two applications for funding under CPIR Highways Initiative to Community Link Officer
    It was confirmed that these submissions had been made. These were for yellow lines/road markings at Bell Lane and Lanmoor Estate adjacent to the school and for yellow lines plus the creation of parking chicane along the A393. This information had also been sent to Cllr John Thomas.

PC19/48: MVRG/CPIR: – Cllrs Anson and Wood:

  • To receive report following CPIR Community Network Panel meeting: 12 March 2019 and consider possible comments.
    Cllr Anson indicated that she had not been able to attend this meeting as she was out of the county on this date.
  • To note the date of next MVRG meeting 2 May 2019, Mills Hall Carharrack
    The meeting and topics for consideration were noted. Cllrs Wood and Luscombe would attend.

PC19/49: To receive update on draft Rural Status Report for MVRG – Cllr Wood
Cllr Wood reported that the draft Rural Status Report had been thoroughly considered by representatives of MVRG and minor revisions effected. The report had now been submitted to Cornwall Council and a response was eagerly awaited. The paper sets out aims and objectives for the future with a rural focus to inform reviews of the Community Network Structure and the Cornwall Local Plan.

PC19/49: Neighbourhood Plan: Cllr Wood

  • To confirm NDP has been ‘made’ by Cornwall Council: 11 March
    Cllr Wood confirmed that following successful referendum the NDP had now been formally adopted as ‘made’ by Cornwall Council and would now carry full weight during the consideration of planning applications within Lanner.

PC19/50: Planning:

  • Any planning matters of an urgent nature.
    PA19/00625 – Land North East of Carnmarth House
    Following indication that the Planning Officer is minded to approve this application, in accordance with Cornwall Council protocol Council were invited to Agree/Agree to Disagree/Refer to Planning Committee.
    Resolved: since the detailed application was not in line with scale of the development put forward when outline permission was granted Council wished the matter to be referred to the CC Planning Committee. This required a member of Council to address the Committee and Cllr Wood agreed to speak on this application.

PC19/51: Website:

  • To receive statistics relating to usage
    This information had been previously circulated and was noted.
  • To confirm meeting to formulate requirements for updating of website. Cllrs Luscombe, Marshall and Wood agreed to investigate and consider this matter further. At future meetings a variety of websites would be displayed and compared with the current Council website so that suggested improvements could be formulated. In the meantime, all councillors are invited to indicate any difficulties they have with the current website.

PC19/52: United Downs Deep Geothermal Project: – Cllr Bosworth

  • To appoint representative to undertake special interest in this project and act as Council representative.
    Cllr Bosworth indicated his willingness to extend his representation from grant panel member to cover all aspects of this project. Resolved: Cllr Bosworth was appointed.
  • To receive update on progress of drilling rig, operations and noise levels.
    Cllr Bosworth reported that good progress was being made with drilling with no reports of concerns regarding noise pollution. It was possible that a second well would be drilled, and this would also open a second opportunity for local communities to apply for grant funding.
  • To receive report on visit to the project by Cllrs, volunteers and interested parties: 13 March.
    It was reported that the visit had proved interesting, informative and very enjoyable. Cllrs, volunteers and friends had all appreciated learning more about the project and thanks to Council and the Geothermal Team were expressed.

PC19/53: Emergency Plan – Cllr Marshall

  • To consider increased links with local businesses and sharing of information.
    Cllr Marshall reported additional information that could be used to heighten awareness and improve links with local businesses had been received. Since many of the business could play an important part should an emergency occur it was agreed to make further contact, share this information and encourage greater participation.

PC19/54: Environment: Cllrs Luscombe, Wearne and Wood

  • Footpaths: To receive reports from Volunteer Footpath Walkers
    No reports of serious defects had been received. All paths continued t be enjoyed by residents. Enquiry would be made regarding the re-opening of footpath 12 at Penstruthal which remained closed while investigations continued in relation to mine workings.
  • To receive update on progress with application to add paths to the definitive map.
    In the absence of Cllr Repper, a detailed report was not available: however, it was noted that work to collate the required information continued.
  • To receive report on progress with proposals for Mining Trails Forum and Mining Trails survey
    Cllr Wood advised that survey information was still most welcome and would included in what is an on-going status report. The next meeting of this group would be held at Chacewater and would include discussion of plans for the Carnon Valley.
  • To receive update on application to appoint and arrange training for parish enforcement measures in partnership with Cornwall Council Community Protection Team
    Cllr Wood reported that further information had been received but no costs for the training had yet been provided: however, it was likely that these could be met through the training budget. Regulations required that any persons authorised to issue Enforcement action in the form of penalty notices must be clearly identified with a ‘uniform’. Information relating to design and cost would be made for suitable outer wear. Cllrs Bosworth, Luscombe, Marshall and Wearne all volunteered to act in this capacity. St Day parish council have also expressed an interest in joining with Lanner in attending any training event.
  • Environmental crime: To confirm submission of information regarding ‘hot spots’ to MVRG and CC Public Protection; recording fly tipping, off road motor bikes, anti-social cyclists and dog poo.
    This information had all been submitted in written form and a map detailing ‘hotspots’ had been prepared and would be submitted to Mark Luxton, CC Head of Community Protection. It was anticipated that with the identification of locations actions could be appropriately targeted to address these crimes including the possibility of covert CCTV.
  • To receive report on meeting, 18 March, to consider the proposed ‘4 Point Plan’ to combat unauthorised use of bridleways and footpaths by motor vehicles
    Cllr Luscombe reported on his attendance at this meeting. It was considered that despite lengthy review the ‘4 Point Plan’ was still too long and complex. With only a few of the original members remaining, the group and its objectives seemed to have lost focus. In order to share the burden of hosting and chairing meetings and compiling notes it had been agreed to rotate the meetings throughout member parishes. Lanner would host the next meeting and Cllr Luscombe would Chair the meeting. To offer support on this occasion the Clerk would voluntarily take notes. It was hoped that this meeting would establish if it could continue in an effective manner or if incorporation could be made within the Mineral Trails Forum.
  • To confirm order for 15 dog poo signs from Cornwall Council

PC19/55: Community: Cllrs Bosworth, Luscombe, Wearne & Wood

  • To receive details of the target on litter pollution event to be held on Saturday 6 April 10 to 12 noon.
    The event had been confirmed and advertised with a reasonable response from volunteers to participate. Pick sticks, gloves and bin bags would be provided. Maps of routes and instructions had been prepared for teams. All rubbish to be returned to the Village Hall at the end of the event and would be collected by Cornwall Council for disposal. A Risk Assessment would be prepared, and Council insurers had been informed of the activity.
  • To receive report on meeting with the Lanner Football Club to discuss changing room provisions.
    The meeting had allowed an appreciation of the desires and aims of the football club to secure changing rooms at the Tresavean pitch which was leased from CC. Cllr Wood had provided a list of potential funders to which applications could be submitted. The club indicated support for the devolution of land to the Parish Council. Once they had confirmed their full proposals the club had been invited to meet with Council again.
  • To receive update on consultation and ideas for a ‘Summer Programme’ of events designed to engage teenagers and foster self-responsibility and citizenship
    Some preliminary discussions had taken place with both young people and various club leaders and teaching staff. Further meetings and investigations would be made to allow an attractive program to be formulated.
  • To consider further information to support the provision of defibrillators within the parish.
    Cllr Bosworth advised that some sources of funding were available and that requests had been received from individual residents and organisations for at least two defibrillators to be sited in the village. There was no provision for such purchase within Council budget for 2019/20. To try to assist it was resolved that an open meeting would be arranged to which interested parties would be invited to see if funds could be raised from within the community to support the venture. Cllr Bosworth agreed to chair the meeting.

PC19/56: Parish Assets:
Toilets and Playing Fields: Cllr Wearne

  • Safety Inspections/signage
    All regular inspections had been completed by Cllr Wearne.
  • To receive update on implementation of repair works to meet required safety standards
    Cllr Wearne reported that all works had now been completed including the repair of wet pour, repainting of equipment and investigation of ‘rocker’. Excavation of the bark had been completed but the base was completely secure and represented no danger to users.
  • To note time of Annual Safety Inspection
    It was confirmed that both recreational spaces and all equipment would be inspected in April.
  • To receive report on the installation of new play equipment
    Cllr Wearne reported that the installation had been completed and post installation inspection had been passed. These items had now been added to Council insurance.
  • To note details of the opening event on Saturday 30 March 2019
    The event was arranged with Harvey Watson, Young Person Award Winner, to cut the ribbon. The event had been advertised and it was hoped that residents would come along to celebrate with all the funders that had made the installation possible.
  • Update on quotes for new toilet doors following funding confirmation
    Alternative quotations had been received and it was agreed that Cllr Wearne would work with the Clerk to progress.

Lawn Cemetery & Churchyard: Cllrs Luscombe, Wearne and Wood

  • To receive update on status of works.
    Consideration was being given to the design and appropriate materials to create an attractive entrance. This would be greatly helped once the water pipe had been isolated and so making further excavation and movement of soil possible. The works to the water pipe would be completed in the near future and the appointed Contractor would return to site early June to continue the works. Cllrs Luscombe, Wearne, Wood and the Clerk would continue to liaise and progress the project.
  • To receive update on repairs to graves following insurance claim
    All repairs had now been completed to an excellent standard by D Tresise and Sons and final settlement was being arranged to fully reimburse the cost of damages. Father Peter, Christchurch would be informed of completion so that the families could be informed.
  • To receive update on progress with ‘closure’ of Churchyard
    This matter should be considered by the Privy Council and the end of March and further advice would be received in due course. In the meantime, further consideration would be given to works required and negotiations with Cornwall Council regarding future maintenance.

Lanmoor Entrance splays:

  • To discuss planting and management policy.
    Further time was required to produce a specification and obtain outline costing for these works. Cllr Wearne would discuss with the Clerk. Maps of underground services were also being sought.
  • To consider application for possessory title of land outside the ownership of Cornwall Council.
    It was considered essential to obtain ownership of the land not within ownership of Cornwall Council, for which a planting licence had been obtained. It was resolved that further investigations to trace the owner of the land would be made and approach made to request transfer as a gift.
    Church Green:
  • Cllr Wearne reported that building spoil had been dumped at the perimeter of the land; it was not known where the material had come from or who had placed it there. It was resolved to write to all occupiers of properties in the immediate vicinity to request any information regarding the crime.
    Devolution:
  • Tresavean Mine
    Council was advised that reports were being complied by Council Officers to allow the matter of devolution to be progressed further. Despite indication that this matter would be resolved in March no further information had been received.
  • Henscol:
    The Clerk had met with Mrs Hayley Richards who confirmed agreement to transfer the land to Council. Adjustments and change of name were required to be made on the documents and this was being completed by Council’s solicitor.

PC19/57: Date of next meeting:
Council meeting Thursday 25 April 2019
Planning meeting: Thursday 11 April 2019

There being no further business the meeting closed at 9.45 pm.

Leave a Reply

Add an image (JPEG only)

MENU