Lanner Parish Council Meeting 28 February 2019

Lanner Parish Council – Minutes of the Parish Council Meeting held on Thursday 28 February 2019 in the Village Hall, commencing 7.00 pm.

Present: Cllr. Wood (Chair), Cllr Bosworth, Cllr Luscombe, Cllr Marshall, Cllr Repper and Cllr Wearne.
In attendance: Mrs E Youlton, Clerk.

PC19/22: Apologies for absence:
Cllr Anson (other commitment); Cllr Blewett (other commitment).

PC19/23: Declarations of pecuniary and/or non-pecuniary interests relating to items on the agenda and the details thereof.
None

PC19/24: To consider written requests for dispensation:
None

PC19/25: To receive report from Cornwall Councillor John Thomas:
Cllr Thomas had offered his apologies, submitted a brief emailed report and indicated that a full report would be received in due course.

PC19/26: Administration:

  • To accept minutes of the meeting held on 7 February 2019. Resolved: Minutes of the meeting were approved and duly signed by the Chairman.
  • Matters arising from the Minutes not covered elsewhere on the agenda.
  • School Bus Provision: A reply had been received from Mr David Edwards, CC, advising that the whole education transport provision would be transferred to a new department in April and a further review of places, both paid and unpaid, would be carried out. It was hoped that this would address some of the issues with passenger capacity on all services. Council would continue to monitor the provision.
  • To receive report from Clerk(s) for February 2019. A spreadsheet detailing the number of visits to the Council Office, defects and matters of concern reported to Cornwall Council and links to other organisations had not been produced for this month but would be circulated prior to the next meeting.
  • To receive report of Clerks attendance at CALC Conference and approve cost of attendance. A report detailing this event had been circulated and was noted. The main topics covered were the Local Governance Review, Standards and Ethics and the future of CALC. Council ratified cost of CALC conference from Training budget.
  • To consider adopting the following policies: Health & Safety Policy, Equal Opportunities.
    Further evaluation of these policies was required. Deferred to next meeting.

PC19/27: Financial Matters & Accounts for Payment:

NameSubjectAmount
Mr D HallVillage maint£445.42
Mrs D Moon Toilets£56.00
Mr M HeatherMaint. Progs.£589.20
Mr. P Mahoney - StreamlineWebsite maintenance & maps£200.00
Mrs E Youltonreimbursements£8.99
Mrs T Marshallreimbursements£2.49
Mr M Caddycemetery project£1158.00
HMRC£271.27
Staff costs£1535.66
CALCconference£36.00
£4303.03

Financial statements & payments for the month of February were presented to Council, approved and are appended to these Minutes. Full Accounts also appear on the website.

  • To confirm Councillors eligible wishing to accept Members allowance for 2018/19 and confirm completion of required paperwork.
    Those Councillors eligible to claim Members Allowance were issued with appropriate forms for completion so that payments could be made, and correct PAYE applied. Those Councillors not wishing to accept the allowance must confirm this in writing. All documents should be returned as soon as possible to ensure process completed prior to the end of the financial year.

PC18/28: Highways and Transport: – Cllrs Wearne and Wood

  • To receive and consider information regarding mobile speed activated signs.
    Confirmation had been received from Stithians and Gwennap Parish Councils that the suggested purchase of speed activated signs could proceed as a joint venture. The cost of the units would be shared across the three parishes, with each arranging installation of posts in locations to be agreed with Cormac. A meeting to confirm more detailed arrangements of the purchase and management would be booked with the Chairman and Clerk of each participating parish.
  • To receive report on quarterly meeting with Adrian Drake, Cormac
    Cllr Wood gave an overview of the meeting with Adrian Drake at which road safety, speeding traffic, maintenance schemes and planting licences were discussed.
    It had been suggested that since the application for two desired safety schemes had not been submitted for consideration under the current CPIR Highway funding scheme, the Parish Council could submit these, to Charlotte Caldwell, Community Link Officer, for the next assessment in October.
    It was resolved that the proposal for improvements at Bell Lane and Lanmoor Estate to support road and pedestrian safety around Lanner School and the installation of yellow lines/parking bays along the A393 would be submitted. Indication had been received that if Council was able to offer a financial contribution this would assist the likely success. A contribution had already been pledged for the scheme around Lanner School.
    A meeting to discuss a review of speed restrictions on the A393, Comford to Lanner was still awaited since reports from the Coroner had yet to be issued.
    Discussions had taken place regarding possible installation of restrictions to prohibit the riding of motor vehicles across Pennance entrance splays. It was resolved to submit an application for a planting licence over this area so that greater powers of management could be obtained.
    Adrian Drake had indicated that it was unlikely that works to redecorate the tops of the poles at Lanner Square could be undertaken by CC. However, since significant effort had been made by volunteers, he invited a written application for further consideration. The height of the work required meant this was not possible for volunteers to undertake safely.

PC19/29: MVRG/CPIR: – Cllrs Anson and Wood:

  • To note the date of next on CPIR Community Network Panel 12 March 2019 and consider possible comments.
    It was hoped that Cllr Anson would attend this meeting. It was noted that the May meeting would include focus on actions as a result of climate change. Cllr Bosworth indicated that he might be able to attend this meeting also.
  • To receive briefing following MVRG meeting: 28 February 2019.
    A verbal report was given by Cllr Wood who had attended this meeting earlier in the day. This included a discussion with Simon Mould, CC on the purpose and structure of a Rural Status Report for use in reviewing Community Networks and the Cornwall Local Plan. The next meeting of MVRG will include discussions with Acting Chief Planning Officer Louise Wood. Cllr Luscombe indicated that he would also like to attend that meeting.

PC19/29: To comment on draft Rural Status Report for MVRG – Cllr Wood

  • Cllr Wood reported that he had compiled all the responses received from other councils and a first draft of the document had been produced. The paper sets out aims and objectives for the future with a rural focus and determines how such matters will be addressed. Once confirmed this will be circulated to all Cllrs.

PC19/30: Neighbourhood Plan: Cllr Wood

  • To confirm result of referendum held on 21 February 2019.
    The Declaration of Poll confirmed a ‘yes’ vote of 404 (84.5%); and a ‘no’ vote of 72, (15%) It was therefore declared that more than half of those voting have voted in favour of the Lanner Parish Neighbourhood Plan. The overall turnout was 22.12%.
    The plan will now be ‘made’ by Cornwall Council and will form a part of the Cornwall Development Plan.

PC19/31: To receive information and consider the creation of a Landscape Partnership: Cllr Wood
Cllr Wood advised that this project was being considered within the Mining Villages as the next step following the completion of LLCAs. The proposal is to work across parishes to create a plan for the whole area and offer improved protection for the landscape. The previous excellent team of volunteers had indicated a willingness to participate in the project and this is appreciated by Council.
Meetings to progress this project will be arranged in due course.

PC19/32: Planning:

  • To ratify further comments on the following Planning Applications:
  • PA18/10053 Outline application with some matters reserved for the demolition of existing dwelling and garages, and the erection of up to 4 dwellings with garden amenity, off street parking and associated infrastructure.
    Ratify agreement to application proceeding on the understanding that the number and alignment of the dwellings is not seen acceptable as it stands.
    Resolved: agreed
  • PA19/00699 Construction of five dwelling houses and associated works to include formation of new access with variation of condition 2 (plans) of decision PA18/00405 dated 08/03/2018 to allow minor amendments to the size and orientation of the buildings resulting in an overall reduction of 20 square meters of built development. Ratify agreement.
    Resolved: agreed

A complaint had been received from a local resident regarding the very untidy state of the allotments at Treveth, Middle Carvannell Farm. A report had been submitted to Cornwall Council for investigation.

PC19/33: Website:

  • To receive statistics relating to usage. This information had been previously circulated and was noted.
  • To consider requirements for updating of website. Cllr Blewett had submitted useful information and was thanked for spending time viewing a range of websites and offering evaluation. Invitation was reiterated for further research. This would allow informed discussion with the website designer.

PC19/34: United Downs Deep Geothermal Project: – Cllrs Blewett & Bosworth

  • To receive update on progress of drilling rig, operations and noise levels. Cllrs offered an update on the project which was making good progress. Noise levels were continuously monitored with no unacceptable levels indicated.
  • To receive information relating to applications to the United Downs Geothermal Community Fund. Cllr Bosworth advised that the results of the last round of awards had been completed with the Parish Council gaining success in the application for improvements to toilet doors. Formal notification would follow.
  • To confirm date of visit to the project by Cllrs, volunteers and interested parties. This visit would take place on Wednesday 13 March at 6.30 for 6.45 pm start.

PC19/35: Emergency Plan – Cllr Marshall

  • To receive report on the ‘test’ exercise staged on Tuesday 19 February 2019
    Cllr Marshall advised that the test exercise had been completed and proved successful. Contact had been made with all volunteers and First Aiders and all halls could have been opened as a result of the telephone tree. Minor adjustments had been made to some details and the information held had all been reviewed. It was planned to hold a ‘live’ emergency in the summer months, and it was hoped to involve other local organisations such as the Scouts to act as casualties.
    A meeting of volunteers to arrange this further test and select appropriate equipment would be arranged in the near future.

PC19/36: Environment: Cllrs Repper and Wood

  • Footpaths: To receive reports from Volunteer Footpath Walkers: All walkers reported paths were in good order and there were no new items to report. Cllr Repper is continuing to collate information to add paths to the Definitive Map. Once applications had been submitted for a Modification Order these could not be extinguished even if consequential legal administration proved inordinately slow.
  • To receive report on progress with proposals for Mining Trails Forum and Mining Trails survey. Cllr Wood advised that the early response to this project had been excellent with a great deal of enthusiasm shown. The survey results had all been collated by him and common themes had been identified. Some parishes had already invested significantly in the path network and promotion of use. Funding for further improvements would be discussed at future meetings. It was resolved that Council would look favourably on financial support for this project.
  • To receive report of meeting and tour of parish with Mark Luxton, CC Head of Community Protection (Licensing, Enforcement, Neighbourhoods & Public Protection and Kevin Brader, CC Team Manager for Community Protection.
    Cllr Wood reported on the meeting with Officers from CC and Council. The meeting had taken the form of a tour of the areas considered ‘hotspots’ for litter, fly tipping, dog fouling and other anti-social behaviours. Additional information would be sent to CC so that further actions to combat such activities could be considered. Cllr Repper agreed to work with the Clerk to plot these sites on a map so that they could be easily and readily identified. Council would continue to implement local measures to combat such activity and it was hoped that further partnership working could be arranged.
    CC offered training and certification to local volunteers to be a Community Enforcement Officer, challenge such behaviours and if necessary, issue spot fines. Several Cllrs volunteered to undertake this training and act as environmental stewards issuing ‘spot fines’ if appropriate.
  • To note meetings/progress with the proposed ‘4 Point Plan’
    The next meeting of this combined group will take place on Monday 18 March at 7 pm at Chacewater Village Hall. Cllr Luscombe confirmed he will try to attend.
  • To confirm supply/watering of hanging baskets
    The baskets would be supplied by KC Warne services and would be erected in May/June. Some further negotiation would be required regarding the watering contract as prices seemed rather high.
  • To confirm arrangements for weed spraying for 2019/20
    This would be completed as per three-year tender by KC Warne Services with two sprays of the main areas of the village. Spraying would be subject to prevailing weather conditions with advance notice given to residents.

PC19/37: Community: Cllr Wood

  • To confirm activities planned in support of the Great British Spring Clean
    This event was scheduled to take place on Saturday 6 April commencing at 10 am. Volunteers would be supplied with bin bags, some gloves and litter picking equipment. The rubbish would need to be sorted as collected into separate bags so that effective recycling could be measured and achieved. The event would be advertised widely, and it was hoped volunteers would help to ensue many areas would be covered.
  • To confirm meeting with the Lanner Football Club to discuss changing room provisions.
    Approach had been made by the Lanner Football Club to discuss the possibility of building changing facilities at the Tresavean site. This would be discussed with representatives of the club and by Cllrs Luscombe, Wearne and Wood at a meeting to be held on Tuesday 12 March at 5.30 pm. Council indicated general support for such an endeavour and recognised that current arrangements were unsatisfactory.
  • To consider methods to effectively plan a ‘Summer Programme’ of events designed to engage teenagers and foster self-responsibility and citizenship
    In order to ensure that any activities offered by Council this year were in line with the interests of young people it was agreed that a poll seeking observations and requests would be circulated to the Scouts, school pupils and other interested young people. It was hoped that a suitable program could then be constructed within the constraints of budget.

PC19/38: Parish Assets:

Toilets and Playing Fields: Cllr Wearne

  • Safety Inspections/signage
    Cllr Wearne had completed all regular inspections. Repairs were still required to the wet pour in the toddler’s area at Lanner Moor Playing Field and to a small area of the surface matting at Strawberry Fields. A supplier had been identified and so materials would be ordered as soon as possible. It was important to carry out these repairs to conform with safety standards.
    Several items of equipment required repainting and Cllr Wearne had kindly agreed to complete this. It was resolved to purchase the required specialist paint at a cost of approximately £200.

The ‘three-pronged rocker’ was still not fixed adequately and despite the digging out of the surrounding bark a method to rectify had not yet been found. It was agreed to seek further advice from suppliers and safety experts.

Cllr Wearne advised that the new play equipment would be installed w/c 18 March. The three items would support integrated play and would be sited near to the tarmac pathway for ease of use by the less able. An event to ‘open’ the equipment would be arranged for Saturday 30th March and invitation extended to all those who helped fund the equipment. Full details would be confirmed to Councillors by email.
Thanks were extended to Cllr Wearne for his considerable efforts.

Lawn Cemetery & Churchyard: Cllrs Luscombe, Wearne and Wood

  • To receive update following commencement of works. Work had commenced on the creation of the entrance and this was progressing well. Difficulty had arisen with the water pipe that runs across the land. The age and condition of the pipe meant emergency repairs had been required and the pipe now needed to be replaced.
    Considerable investigation had been made into the source of the water supply, ownership of the pipe and properties receiving supply from this feed. A quotation for works to replace the pipe had been received and was approved by Council as the amount would still be within the budgeted costs. Cllrs Wood, Luscombe and Wearne would continue to liaise with contractors to ensure a satisfactory outcome.
    Thanks were extended to all Cllrs for their support and particularly Cllr Luscombe for all his assistance arranging plant and offering guidance on health & safety requirements.
  • To receive update on repairs to graves following insurance claim
    D Tresise and Son had been advised to complete repairs as soon as possible so that the insurance claim could be completed, and the graves fully restored to a fitting standard. Enquiry on anticipated timescale for completion would be made.
  • To receive update on progress with ‘closure’ of Churchyard. All the required notices had been displayed by the PCC and the matter would be considered by the Privy Council during March. It was hoped this process would continue without delays. Further meetings would then be required with Cornwall Council to start to confirm maintenance agreements.

Lanmoor Entrance splays:

  • To discuss planting and management policy.
    Time was required to produce further detail and obtain outline costing for these works. Cllr Wearne would discuss with the Clerk.
  • To consider application for possessory title of land outside the ownership of Cornwall Council.
    A planting licence had been obtained for the area of land within the ownership of Cornwall Council. Since Council had undertaken maintenance works at this site for a considerable period, application for possessory title would be made by Council via a solicitor.

Devolution:

  • Tresavean Mine. Council was advised that reports were being complied by Council Officers to allow the matter of devolution to be progressed further. This should all be completed by March.
  • Henscol: The Clerk would meet with Mrs Hayley Richards in the coming week to discuss the transfer of the small grass section at the entrance to Henscol.
  • To discuss the desirability/capacity for monitoring services delivered by Cornwall Council. Recent methods of working and communications with Cornwall Council indicated a positive desire to work more closely with parishes to achieve higher standards. Information would be obtained to look more closely at the pledged frequency and standard for: road maintenance, cleansing, refuse collections and maintenance of verges.

PC19/39: Correspondence:
Citizens Advice Rural Access Report – circulated and noted

PC19/40: Date of next meeting:
Thursday 28 March 2019
Planning meeting: Tuesday 12 March 2019

There being no further business the meeting closed at 9.55 pm.

PCmins190228

Leave a Reply

Add an image (JPEG only)

MENU