Lanner Parish Council Meeting 25 October 2018

Lanner Parish Council – Subject to Approval. Minutes of the Parish Council Meeting held on Thursday 25 October 2018 in the Village Hall, commencing 6.30pm.

Present: Cllr. Wood (Chair), Cllr Anson, Cllr Bosworth, Cllr Luscombe, Cllr Marshall and Cllr Wearne.
In attendance: Mrs E Youlton, Clerk.

PC18/158: Apologies for absence:
Cllr Blewett (other commitment) Cllr Rabey (out of county) Cllr Repper (sickness)

PC18/159: Declarations of pecuniary and/or non-pecuniary interests relating to items on the agenda and the details thereof.
None

PC18/160: To consider written requests for dispensation.
None

PC18/161: To receive report from Cornwall Councillor John Thomas
In the absence of Cllr Thomas, no report was available.

PC18/162: Administration:

  • To accept minutes of the meeting held on 27 September 2018
    Resolved: Minutes of the meeting were approved and duly signed by the Chairman.
  • Matters arising from the Minutes not covered elsewhere on the agenda.
    None.
  • To consider adopting policies on Electronic Communications.
    A draft policy had been confirmed with the Chairman and would be circulated as soon as possible. This would be considered at the next meeting.

PC18/163: Financial Matters & Accounts for Payment:

NameSubjectAmount
Mr D HallVillage maint£445.42
Mrs D Moon Toilets£62.00
Mr M HeatherMaint. Progs.£703.50
Mr. P Mahoney - StreamlineWebsite/ NDP£200.00
Mrs E Youltonreimbursements£123.34
Mrs T Marshallreimbursements£17.46
Roadwaregrit bins x 2£287.88
HMRC£271.27
Warne’s Plantswatering hanging baskets£441.63
3D Land surveys cemetery £48.00
Warnes Plantswatering (Sept)£131.40
RECrepairs playing field£120.00
Cornwall Hospice Care grant£250.00
Staff costs£1535.66
£4637.56

Financial statements & payments for the month of October were presented to Council, approved and are appended to these Minutes. Full Accounts also appear on the website.

  • Update on bank account and internet payment facility.
    HSBC had advised that an incorrect form had been supplied and forms relating to Local Authorities were now required. These were duly completed and signed and would be returned to HSBC to action as soon as possible.

PC18/164: Highways and Transport: Cllrs Wood, Wearne and Marshall

  • To receive update on actions taken regarding solutions to the problems of speed of traffic, congestion and on street parking at various locations including Bell Lane, Lanmoor Estate and adjacent to the A393 – Cllr Wood.
    Cllr Wood advised consultation would begin with residents of properties at Bell Lane and Lanmoor Estate to seek comments regarding the implementation of the relocation of zig zag lines and installation of double yellow lines at the school entrance at Lanmoor Estate. Once comments had been received formal application may be made to implement these measures.
    Vegetation causing obstruction to visibility at Lanmoor Estate had been cut by Cornwall Council and residents extended thanks to Council for assistance.
  • To receive report on meeting with Adrian Drake. 3rd October. Cllr Wood reported that this meeting had included discussions on the following:
  • Speed limit Comford to Lanner. Request for a reduction in speed limit requested again. Other measures included double white lines to prohibit overtaking. Greatest concern motorists not able to reduce speed to 30mph when entering village. Meetings with local Cornwall Councillors would be arranged with police, Parish Council and highways Officers once a full report on the recent fatal accident had been received.
    The creation of gateway features such as planting was suggested which had a proven effect on speed reduction.
  • Requests for the installation of a 30mph sign at east boundary and promised bridleway warning up Lanner Hill. Current regulations do not permit the erection of signage indicating 30mph zone in this area. Signs appear at beginning and indication is given when ended. The 30mph painting on the highway did not now comply with regulations and could be lost if resurfacing works were completed.
    Further consideration would be given to the erection of a warning sign but one was already in this location. Again, regulations proved restrictive in what could be displayed.
  • A393 parking scheme. All the information collated by Cllr Marshall and Asst. Clerk Teresa Marshall had been received. An application would need to be made to the CPIR Highways budget to obtain funding for a scheme to be drawn up. If this was in place plans would be drawn to assist local consultation.
  • School parking scheme. Walking bus. Proposals were discussed further and confirmed. This included the movement and extension of ‘zig zag’ lines to the opposite side of the highway at Bell Lane and double yellow lines to prohibit parking at the hammer head at the school main gate. Once consultation with residents had taken place funding for implementation would be discussed further. The Parish Council had pledged some financial support.
  • Lanmoor. Efforts to formalise arrangements for management and maintenance were supported.
  • Henscol. The transfer of the area of open space was now agreed by CC and matters were proceeding. The principles of a ‘planting licence’ for the area of tarmac adjacent to this area were explained and agreement was confirmed. The required forms would be completed and submitted.
  • Speedwatch. This project was led by Cornwall Cllr John Thomas and recent activities were noted. The need to reduce speed to be within the 30mph limit was pressed again and discussions took place regarding the need for the installation of average speed cameras.
  • Accident stats. The method of collation of accident statistics was discussed and may explain why although residents had witnessed accidents these were not recorded on official statistics
  • Rough Street. Remedial works to bollards and fallen stones was requested and agreed. This was in the interest of highway safety and flood alleviation.
  • To consider enhancements at the entrance points to the village – Cllr Wearne
    Discussion took place regarding this suggestion and it was resolved to consider suggestions for improvements at these points. Invitation to submit ideas/designs would be extended to residents via the forth coming Newsletter.
  • To note arrangements for night time closure of A393 11 – 15 November. Noted
  • To note distribution arrangements of 30mph stickers. Such stickers were available from Council to be placed on wheelie bins throughout Lanner and particularly on those being putting out along the A393. This would send a clear message to motorists of the speed limit on at least one day a week and had proven success in many areas.
  • Mobile Speed Activation Signs. Cllr Wood advised that several had been purchased by neighbouring parishes and some locations required further approval of locations at which they could be sited and operated.
    Consideration may be given at a future date of combining resources with other parishes to purchase for use in Lanner. The results of these measures would be followed.

PC18/165: To report on meeting with Mr K Walsh, Headteacher Lanner School – Cllr Wood.
Cllr Wood advised that an interesting and informative meeting had been held with Mr Walsh. Matters discussed included difficulties caused by parent parking, the NDP, class sizes, use of outdoor recreational areas and Christmas festivities. Mr Walsh had received a warm welcome at Lanner and the meeting was a positive start.

PC18/166: MVRG: – Cllr Wood

  • To note Rural Action List and MV Status Report
  • To note Next Meeting and guest speaker: Paul Mahoney (websites)
  • To note date of Localism Summit and confirm attendance- 15 November 2018
  • To receive report on CPIR and Budget Stakeholders briefing

PC18/167: CPIR – Cllr Anson

  • To receive report on last meeting including any update on allocation of funds for highways and TRO improvements and Action List.
    Cllr Anson reported on her attendance at this meeting which included a tour of the new art facilities at Pool Academy. Various projects with young people were being considered including increasing interaction across ages and in particular those living with dementia.
    I confess I got totally lost here and I think I went off to make tea! Hoping that you can help please – all seemed to go a bit off topic!

PC18/168: Parish Plan Review and Neighbourhood Plan: Cllr Wood

  • To report on further questions raised by the Examiner and note responses submitted.

PC18/169: Planning:

  • To note information from CALC regarding risks of funding litigation as a result of request from Crantock
  • To consider the following applications:
    Application PA18/09112
    Proposal Resubmission of approved application PA18/00482 for the proposed conversion of existing garage/ workshop into ancillary living accommodation to allow for variation of condition 2 to enable use for paying guests and ancillary accommodation.
    Location Chy Lowen Tresavean Lanner Redruth
    Applicant Mr & Mrs Gordon
    Resolved: Council oppose this application.
    Attention is drawn to comments submitted in relation to PA18/00482.
    1. The site for the proposed conversion falls outside the proposed Village Settlement Boundary contained within the Lanner Pre Submission NDP. In considering the application, Council had in mind expressions of interest in Pre-App consultation and in the supporting papers to the application that a desire to see this conversion as a stand-alone dwelling and/or a self-catering holiday unit (‘bed and breakfast’ ‘ though it includes its own kitchen). This is an inappropriate location for a new dwelling.
    2. Access to the site is via a narrow highway and concern is expressed that additional vehicular traffic in this area could not be reasonably accommodated.
    3. If Cornwall Council is minded to grant approval it is strongly requested that the property is tied to the main dwelling by means of a section 106 Agreement. Council recognise that, over time, such an Agreement could be discharged and for that reason would prefer to see the application Refused.
    Council remain of the same consideration and therefore oppose removal of this condition.
  • To note comments from Planning Officer:
    Application PA18/08155
    Proposal Demolition of existing kitchen, bathroom and utility and the erection of a two-story extension to the west side and a two-storey extension to the east side.
    Location Cresta Chapel Hill Lanner Redruth
    Applicant Mr S Dugdale
    No further comments had been received at this time and this matter would be considered further at the next Planning meeting.
  • Enforcement:
    Several matters of concern had been reported to Cornwall Council for further investigation:
    Stationing of vehicles Lanner Green – untidy site
    15 Gyllyvean Gardens – property offered as shared ownership.
    Tresavean Farm – stationing of caravans and conversion of a horse box
  • Letter from MVRG to Minister re GDPR and Enforcement information.
    Cllr Wood advised that a letter had been sent from the MVRG requesting consideration of the withholding and restriction of information supplied to Cornwall Cllrs and Parish/Town Councils by Cornwall Council under the claims of restrictions resulting from GDPR. This had led to less than adequate being made available and further investigation into interpretation of the legislation was strongly requested.

The following appeals were noted:
Submitted –
APP/D0840/W/18/3205923
MR Jon Phaby
Site Address: Lanner Moor Lanner moor Redruth TR16 6HZ
Erection of two detached dwellings and formation of vehicular access.
Comments previously circulated had been submitted to the inspectorate.

PC18/170: Website

  • To receive statistics relating to usage
    This information had been previously circulated and was noted.

PC18/171: United Downs Deep Geothermal Project: – Cllr Blewett
United Downs Deep Geothermal Project: – Cllr Blewett

  • To receive update on drilling rig and commencement of operations
    In the absence of Cllr Blewett no report was received but the recent installation of equipment and local interest and comment was noted.
    It was confirmed that Cllr Bosworth and Mr Paul Langford, Methodist Church had kindly agreed to serve on the grant consideration panel as representatives from Lanner.

PC18/172: Emergency Plan – Cllr Marshall

  • To confirm purchase of addition grit/salt bins and confirm arrangements for positioning and filling.
    It was confirmed that the two additional grit/salt bins had been ordered and it was agreed that these would be positioned at the entrance to Lanmoor Estate and at Tresavean Hill/Estate. Arrangements were being made to place, fill and secure by Cllrs Marshall, Luscombe and Wearne. Appropriate signage would be attached advising residents of use for clearance of paths/pavements.

PC18/173: To note the date of the date of Lanner & District Silver Band Remembrance Parade – 11th November 2018

  • To confirm attendance and representative to lay wreath on behalf of Council.
    Resolved: Cllr Marshall would represent Council and lay the wreath. The parade would leave from the Gemini Dance Studios at 10.30am and proceed to the service which would be held at the Methodist Chapel this year. All Cllrs were welcome to attend.

PC18/174: Christmas celebrations – Cllr Marshall

  • To note date of switch on and parade – Friday December 7th, 2018
    Noted. All Cllrs were invited to attend and help to marshall the parade would be particularly appreciated. The parade would leave from Lanner school at 6.30 pm and be accompanied by the Hayle Storm Samba Band, Lanner Band Academy would play at Lanner Square where the switch on would take place and refreshments would be available. Father Christmas had promised to visit.
  • To receive update on proposed lighting
    It was intended to erect light displays at Lanner Square, Lanmoor Estate, Lanner Playing Field and Lanner Hill. Confirmation for these sites would be made in the coming weeks. The tree and lights would be erected on Saturday 24 November and any help would be appreciated.

PC18/175: Environmental:

  • Footpaths: To receive reports from Volunteer Footpath Walkers:
    – Repairs to loose post at permissive path at the Tramway.
    Repairs had been completed by Cllr Wearne.
    – Concern regarding eroded steps from Lanner Green to Tramway
    Regular walkers continued to express grave concern about the safety of the steps leading up to the Tramway. This spur was not currently included on the definitive map. The matter had been reported to Gavin Henderson, Rights of Way Officer, and an offer of volunteer assistance extended if partnership working was possible. The responsibility lay entirely with Cornwall Council but no reply had been received to date. Cllr Wood would follow this matter up at a future meeting with Gavin Henderson.
    – Mineral Tramways Partnership – Chacewater. 14 November.
    Members of the MVRG were seeking to re-establish the Mineral Tramways Partnership to focus on protection and improvement to trails in the area. Cllr Wood would attend on and behalf of Lanner, with invitation extended to Cllr Repper.
  • To confirm dates for drop in sessions to collect witness statements to support application for inclusion on the definitive map – Cllr Repper.
    Posters detailing the drop in sessions would be distributed in the near future as soon as final dates and availability of the hall were confirmed. Cllrs would also be welcome at these sessions particularly to assist with completion of witness statements.
  • Environmental crime – reports of fly tipping, off road motor bikes, anti-social cyclists and dog poo.
    Monitoring of all these matters continued and no serious incidents were noted.
  • To note receipt of suggested ‘4 Point Plan and to consider appropriate actions.
    This lengthy and detailed document had been previously circulated and was noted by Council.
  • To receive report on progress with installation of mobile CCTV
    CCTV cameras and appropriate signage would be installed at Wheal Buller car park and Strawberry Fields Recreation area in the coming week.
  • To receive update on transfer/planting licenses of visibility splays at the entrance to Lanmoor Estate and at Henscol and discuss cutting frequency and arrangements.
    All paperwork to complete the transfer at Henscol had been completed and returned. The process for transfer at Lanmoor Estate had commenced and consideration would be given of future maintenance requirements, particularly in relation to the budget. Application for ‘Planting Licences’ at both locations had been made.
    It was resolved that the area of open space at Henscol would now be included in the maintenance schedule and receive 16 cuts per year this had previously been agreed for a price of £18 per cut.
  • To receive update on application to register 3 hectares as Common Land at Carn Marth – Cllr Bosworth
    Submissions of objections had be made to this application from Council and Carn Marth Trust but no further information was available at this time.

PC18/176: Parish Assets:
Toilets and Playing Fields:

  • Safety Inspections/signage
    Cllr Wearne continued to complete weekly inspections of all areas and property owned or managed by Council. No significant matters required consideration and all small repairs had been completed by him.
  • To receive update on progress with installations and testing of electricity sockets at toilets
    Cllr Wearne advised that this installation had been completed and the required safety test certificate lodged with the Clerk.
  • To receive report on investigations into operation of hand dryers
    Cllr Wearne reported that the systems had been thoroughly tested and investigations concluded that the wash and drying facility was unable to be repaired. This matter would be considered at a future meeting and as part of the budgeting process.
  • To receive report on damage and rectification to play equipment
    Cllr Wearne had been advised of defects and had immediately responded making equipment safe and rectifying the faults. Council thanked him for all his efforts and particularly rapid response.
  • To receive update on charging for use of toilets
    Council had previously resolved to implement this measure so that the facilities could be upgraded and then protected. Revised quotes had been sought and would be considered further when received.
  • To receive report on choice, funding and ordering of new play equipment
    All funding for this project was now confirmed by the receipt of a generous donation from the Lanner show, of £500. The former Playing Fields Improvement Group had pledged £3000, Cllr J Thomas, Community Chest, £1000, the Lanner Cake Bakers, £400 and Council resolved to match with a contribution of £3200. Thanks were extended for all contributions.
    Council considered various equipment and options for installation. It was resolved to proceed with the purchase of a ‘nest swing’ ‘multipondo see saw’ and an outdoor table tennis table. This equipment would allow integrated play for all abilities and ages. The total cost, including surfacing and installation would be a total pf £8200. Cllr Wearne would work with the Clerk to arrange site survey and placing of the order.

Tresavean Trail:

  • To note erection of signage to prohibit vehicular access
    There had been a slight delay on the order of signage but would be received in the following week and erected as soon as possible.

Lawn Cemetery & Churchyard: Cllr Wood

  • To note timescale for the proposed works
    Cllr Wood advised that the works were booked to commence in February 2019. Prior to that further consideration and marking out of site would be completed. A meeting was to be arranged with the Contractor, Mike Caddy and Cllrs Luscombe, Wearne and Wood to determine levels and waste material to be removed.
  • To receive information from Cornwall Council regarding grass cutting at old cemetery and churchyard.
    Information regarding likely payments towards the cost of maintenance of the Churchyard had been received. The amounts were very disappointing and further investigation into a potential maintenance program were required. A meeting would be arranged with Cllr Wood and Officers from CC to discuss potential arrangements for support and enhancement of the facility.
  • To receive report on repairs to lytch gate
    Repairs and refurbishment had all been completed by Cllr Wearne and volunteer Nigel Pender. This has ensured that the war memorial is adequately prepared for the forthcoming commemoration and the structure is protected from further deterioration,

Church Green:

  • To note erection of new signage
    This was to be installed in the following week.
    The small patch of Japanese Knotweed had been treated recently as part of the eradication process. .
    Devolution:
  • Tresavean Mine
    Investigations were continuing in to the possibility of this project. Consideration had been given regarding insurance and a quotation from current insurers indicated an additional premium of £1500 and that no cover would be available for the Tresavean Stamps engine house.
  • To receive report on meeting with CC John Thomas 02 October
    Cllr Wood gave an outline of the topics discussed and which included a pledge of support for the devolution of Tresavean. This had also been confirmed in writing and would be forwarded to Cllr Edwina Hannaford, Portflio Holder, for consideration. Other topics included: Speed, Highways Budget, Community Network, Planning Enforcement, Churchyard and Boundary reviews. Notes of this meeting are held on file.

PC18/177: Correspondence:
RSN Sound Board on rural banks. Resolved: Cllrs were invited to make individual responses to this survey.

PC18/178: Other urgent matters:
Council noted the recent prosecution and conviction of Mr David Hall for evasion of excise duty and sale of DVD’s for which he had received a substantial fine. Mr Hall currently held the contract for litter picking and toilet cleaning for Council. Although Council in no way condoned such activity the offences had not been carried out during completion of his duties and no further action would be taken by Council at this time. The Clerk would discuss the severity of such offences with Mr Hall and consideration of the introduction of robust contracts would be made and reviewed by Council.

PC18/179: Date of next meeting: Thursday 29 November 2018
Planning Meeting: Tuesday 13 November 2018

There being no further business the meeting closed at 9.54 pm.

PCmins181025

Leave a Reply

Add an image (JPEG only)

MENU