Lanner Parish Council Meeting 24 October 2019

Lanner Parish Council. Subject to Approval. Minutes of the Parish Council Meeting held on Thursday 24 October 2019 in the Village Hall, commencing 7.00 pm.

Present: Cllr. Wood (Chair), Cllr Anson, Cllr Bosworth, Cllr Luscombe, and Cllr Wearne.
In attendance: Mrs E Youlton, Clerk.

PC19/179: Apologies for absence:
Cllrs Marshall (work commitment), Repper (ill health), Mrs Helen Bilham (ill health)

PC19/180: Declarations of pecuniary and/or non-pecuniary interests relating to items on the agenda and the details thereof.
None

PC19/181: To consider written requests for dispensation:
None

PC/19/182: To consider application for Co-option to Council.
An application had been received from Mrs Helen Bilham and previously circulated.

PC19/183: To appoint applicant as Councillor and complete Declaration of Acceptance of Office.
Resolved: Mrs Helen Bilham was co-opted to Council. Unfortunately, due to ill health she was unable to attend the meeting and arrangements would be made for her to complete Declaration of Office and other associated paperwork.

PC19/184: To receive report from Cornwall Councillor John Thomas:
Cllr Thomas was not present, and no report was received.

PC19/185: Administration:

  • To accept minutes of the Council meeting held on 26 September 2019
    Minutes of the meeting were accepted and duly signed by the Chairman.
  • To receive report from Clerk(s) for October 2019.
    Report was received indicating a range of issues addressed by Clerks during October.
  • To consider the operation of Council email addresses to meet the requirements of GDPR.
    In order to fully satisfy the requirements of GDPR it was resolved to arrange email addresses for each Cllr that would be used for all Council correspondence. It was noted that all correspondence to outside bodies/persons should be copied to the Clerk, ensuring a full conversation trail, this separation will ensure all records were kept apart from personal communications should the need for external examination ever be needed.
  • To appoint representative to lay wreath on behalf of Council at the Remembrance Parade – Sunday 10 November.
    Cllr Luscombe offered to lay the wreath on behalf of Council.

PC19/186: Financial Matters & Accounts for Payment:

NameSubjectAmount
Staff costsMembers only
Mr D HallVillage maint£457.17
Mrs D Moon Toilets£62.00
Mr M Heathermaintenance£1037.80
Mr. P Mahoney Website maintenance £200.00
HMRC£413.95
Cornwall Councilrates£68.00
Adobe subscription£15.17
Microsoft Office subscription£7.99
HP Instant Ink £7.99
KC Warnehanging baskets£126.00
RBLpoppy appeal£18.75
Cllr T Wearnereimbursements£33.54
Viking office supplies£91.69
Redbourne Printers newsletter£898.00
Contract signs£36.00
South West Water playing field£54.14
Total£6560.06

Financial statements & payments for the month of October were presented to Council, approved and are appended to these Minutes. Full Accounts also appear on the website.

  • To note report on pension provisions
    It was confirmed that a report on pension provisions would be offered at the November meeting and information would be circulated for prior consideration. As employers, Council is legally obliged to offer and make financial contribution to a pension scheme: this had also been highlighted by the Internal Auditor. The Clerk had indicated a desire for enrolment in such a scheme and this would need to be allowed for within the forthcoming budget. Should the criteria for enrolment be met by the Assistant Clerk such provision would also need to be extended.
  • To note preparations for budget setting and the need to prioritise Council projects.
    Work to prepare a budget had commenced. Council was advised that following investment in a range of projects current reserves were lower than ideal and would need to be built again. A number of new projects for the coming year were to be put forward and Council would need to consider prioritisation of projects according to what could be financially supported.

PC19/187: To consider applications for financial assistance:

  • To consider applications from the following clubs/organisations, as previously circulated:
    Lanner Band, Lanner Methodist Chapel, Lanner Good Companions, Lanner School, Defib Project, Lanner NHW, St Johns Ambulance, Sowenna, Cornwall Air Ambulance.
    Council resolved to make the following awards:
Club/OrganisationAmount RequestedConfirmed Award
Lanner Band £381.00£200.00
Lanner Neighbourhood Watch£226.00£250.00
Defib Project£250.00£250.00
Lanner Good Companions£160.00£160.00
Lanner Methodist Church250.00£250.00

PC19/188: Community Governance Review: Cllr Wood

  • To receive report on attendance at Public Engagement Meeting, Governance Review, Heartlands, 1 October 2019. Cllr Wood reported on his attendance at this meeting along with Cllrs Bosworth & Marshall and the Clerk. In addition to the written submission which had already been received by the panel, Cllr Wood addressed the panel to provide further information and emphasise the position of Council; that the boundary should remain unchanged. Cllr Bosworth also addressed the panel in his capacity as Chairman of Carn Marth Trust, and several residents of South Downs supported their written submissions to make the case for no change to the boundary. Cllr Steven Barnes, Redruth Town Council, presented Redruth’s case for change almost entirely on historic postcode data. Cornwall Cllr John Thomas was also in attendance and spoke in support of retention of boundaries, having already made written submission and recognised that he would have further opportunity to address the panel at a future meeting.
  • To note information received from Cllr J Thomas regarding the late submission of a counter proposal from Cllr Ian Thomas, CC & Redruth Town Council. An email had been received from Cllr Thomas outlining the proceedings that had taken place at a further meeting of the Governance Panel. A late submission had been made by Cornwall and Redruth Town Cllr Ian Thomas that the boundary could be adjusted to include that part of South Downs on the north side of the roundabout at Sandy Lane,The Paddock, Clijah Lane and Wheal Trefusis. This has been accepted by the panel for further consideration although their recommendation that the boundaries remain unchanged still stands.
    Council noted the written and verbal submissions of Cllr John Thomas and commended his efforts to retain no change to the current parish boundary.
    The Panel has recommended two additional councillors for Lanner Parish Council from 2021.
  • To receive information regarding the lawfulness of this proposal from the Community Governance Review Panel. Advice had been sought from the Community Governance Review panel regarding the lawfulness of the new proposal of Cornwall Cllr Ian Thomas as this had been submitted after the Public Engagement Meeting and therefore public comment had not been possible. Council is advised that the Electoral Review Panel requested Redruth Parish to suggest an amendment to the boundary originally proposed with Lanner due to opinions received during the public meeting (from whom it is not clear) and also comments from Members of Cornwall Council, so this is not a new submission says the Panel. Stage 2 of the process is almost concluded, however Stage 3 (which is due to run from December 2019 to early summer 2020) will involve extensive consultation on this and all other matters.
  • To consider further written communication to all residents of the area proposed to transfer to Redruth. Council resolved to canvass residents of all properties in this area to ensure that they were adequately informed and to gauge community response. This may be useful to present as further evidence to the panel. Council will forward the results of the survey to Cllr John Thomas.

PC19/189: Lanner Village Hall Trustees – Cllr Wood

  • To receive formal notification from Mrs. Elaine Youlton, Clerk of her interest and role as Chair of the Hall Trustees. As an Officer of Council, Mrs Elaine Youlton is required to formally declare her role as Chairman of the Lanner Village Hall Trustees under s117 of the Local Government Act. Mrs Youlton detailed that her role in this capacity was entirely voluntary and she made no personal or financial gain from this activity.
    Council noted this declaration and noted that since the Clerk held no power to vote there was no need to leave the meeting during ensuing discussions.
  • To consider request from Lanner Village Hall Trustees to transfer the ownership, management and long-term protection of facilities to the Parish Council. Council noted a letter from Mrs Sylvia Pooley, Secretary of Lanner Village Hall Trustees, in which a request was made to transfer the building and contents of Lanner Village Hall, along with financial reserves, to the Parish Council. The request was made on the basis that the hall would be held for the interest of the community and not be sold for financial gain by Council; the monies transferred would be held for the protection and preservation of the facilities of the hall and not transferred for use by other projects.
    Council resolved that this request was supported in principle and further enquiry should be made of the Charity Commission by the Village Hall Trustees to the viability of this proposal. Thereafter details of such transfer and future management would be undertaken.

PC19/190: Highways and Transport – Cllrs Wearne and Wood

  • Update on positioning of mobile speed activated signs. The sign would be erected in the coming weeks in the area of South Downs. The facility to collect data without a display of actual speed would be used in the first week so a useful comparison could be made between sets of data.
  • To receive information about the highways schemes submitted to Cornwall Council by Cornwall Cllr John Thomas. Information regarding the details of schemes submitted, for consideration by CC, by Cllr Thomas had been requested via Charlotte Caldwell, CC and Adrian Drake, Cormac.
    To date no information had been received. Council was also concerned that the two schemes which it had submitted (parking restrictions at the school and an investigation into using TROs and parking bays to reduce speed on the A393 through the village) would be considered.

PC19/191: MVRG/CPIR: – Cllrs Anson, Luscombe and Wood:

  • To receive update on Rural Status Report, WHS Mining Trails leaflet.
    Cllr Wood advised that no reply had been received from Simon Mould, CC or Cllr Edwina Hannaford, Portfolio Holder to requests for information regarding the use of the Report by CC, or the frequency of review needed. It was understood that the MVRG were not recognised as a Community Network, but Council indicated considerable disappointment of the lack of engagement by CC in rural affairs.
    Cllr Wood explained the project to obtain leaflets to support the advertising and use of Mineral Trails. The World Heritage Site Team of Cornwall Council had produced and edited a revised leaflet but did not have the funds available to support printing. A proposal had been made that an application to Cornwall Cllrs Community Chest Fund be made by constituent town and parish councils (if they so wished) on behalf of the WHS because WHS has neither a constitution nor a bank account to qualify for such funds. Funds would then be held by MVRG for WHS and spent on design and printing at their instruction. In other words, Cornwall Council would fund itself to design and print a leaflet also by itself.
    The submission of an application had been supported by MVRG subject to clarification of ‘lawfulness’ by Charlotte Caldwell, CC. Concern was expressed that this was a diversion of funds by CC to support a project being managed by one of their departments and that their was a risk of external criticism. Council, and MVRG, awaited clarification on this issue. It was noted that The Clerk had recently been appointed as Treasurer of MVRG and strongly considered that robust information was required.

PC19/192: Parish Plan: Cllr Wood:

  • To confirm presentations to be offered at public consultation event on Saturday 16 November
    Thanks were extended to members for their feedback on presentation posters. These would now be finalised and sent for printing. Cllr Wearne was working with the Clerk to arrange suitable display boards to mount the posters since no response for request for assistance had been received from Cornwall Council.
    Steady progress was being made towards other displays to be mounted at the event to encourage discussions with residents.

PC19/193: Planning:

  • Any planning matters of an urgent nature. There were no matters of an urgent nature.

PC19/194: Police Liaison:

  • To receive report of police actions to address vandalism, anti-social behaviour and social cohesion. The local Neighbourhood police team were well aware of the recent spates of vandalism and anti-social behaviour. There had been insufficient evidence to take action against youths suspected of causing damage at the toilets in Lanner Moor Playing Field and so no further action could be taken. However, in relation to other matters culprits had been identified and were required to attend police actions to address incidents of anti-social behaviour that had occurred in Lanner. Police continued to patrol and monitor the area, with particular attention to known offenders and every effort would be made to apprehend and take appropriate actions.
  • To receive report on attendance at Police Liaison Meeting – Monday 21 October 10 am Camborne Town Council Office. Unfortunately, due to unforeseen events the Clerk had been unable to attend the meeting.

PC19/195: Website – Cllr Wood:

  • To receive statistics relating to usage – previously circulated. Statistics had been circulated and were noted.
  • To receive report following meeting with Mr Paul Mahoney, Streamline Web-design to confirm requirements for redesigning of website. Cllr Wood advised that a meeting had taken place and a clear brief given to allow Paul Mahoney to look closely at all requirements for a redesign of the website and provide a quotation for this work. All aspects of the look and feel of the website compiled by members had been included in discussions and would be included if possible.

PC19/196: United Downs Deep Geothermal Project: – Cllr Bosworth

  • To receive update on progress of the project and opportunities for grant funding.
    Cllr Bosworth advised that all the drilling had been completed and tests now continued with pumping water through the well and measuring heat levels achieved. The testing period would continue for some time to allow adequate evaluation, but the early signs were positive. Community grant funding was still available with approximately £7000 remaining to be awarded to support local projects.

PC19/197: Christmas Lights: Cllr Marshall

  • To receive update on installation of supply of electricity and supporting infrastructure to power Christmas at Lanner Square. In the absence of Cllr Marshall, the Clerk advised that liaison continued with Western Power Distribution to install the new power supply. As the connection point was to be placed on land owned by Cornwall Council it was necessary to obtain a ‘wayleave’; this was being processed but, from experience, this could be protracted. The contractors erecting the infra structure to support the lights around the decorative poles had commenced work and this would all be completed in the coming days.
    Festoon lighting had previously been placed around the top of the decorative poles but this had all failed safety tests and had been removed. Two local residents wished to see this replaced and since there were no resources available to cover the cost, they had arranged purchase as a donation to the village facilities. This most generous donation was made anonymously without any desire for public recognition.
    Council noted this sincere generosity and felt sure this provision would greatly enhance the display of lights.
  • To receive information on electric charging points. Cllr Wood suggested that since a new power supply was to be installed at the Square this perhaps presented opportunity to establish an electric charging point for vehicles. Council supported this idea and further investigations would be made into requirements and the availability of grant funding.

PC19/198: Environment: Cllrs Luscombe, Repper, Wearne and Wood

  • Footpaths: To receive reports from Volunteer Footpath Walkers. Volunteers reported all paths were in good order although recent weather had restricted some walks!
  • To receive update on repairs of handrail by CC at steps off Rough Street to footpath 21. Works to the handrail had all been completed to a high standard. Council were delighted to note that the original handrail had been repaired and retained and thanks were extended to Cormac Officers for their efforts and to crafts people for their skills. An article, with photographs, appeared on the website.
  • To receive update on the use of Incident Report Cards. No incidents had been witnessed and so no reports had been submitted. Residents had advised of the tipping of garden waste at Trevarth and this matter would be brought to the attention of Cornwall Council.
  • To ratify response to CC to support this project for national award. A request had been received from CC to support the partnership project in its bid for a national award. Consultation by email offered that since the project was still in its infancy it was difficult to give much information in support. However, a broad response had been submitted regarding the set up of the project and what it hoped to achieve.
  • To receive information regarding support from Cornwall Fire Service to site CCTV at vulnerable locations to combat vandalism. Following information received at the CPIR meeting an application for the supply of covert CCTV had been submitted. No confirmation of availability or supply had been received to date.
  • To receive report on progress with the reinstatement of a barrier along a section where the Tresavean Trail meets the Great Flat Lode, with the support and consent of Cornwall Council.
    Cllr Luscombe advised that there had been some delay in implementation, but this work should be completed soon.
  • To consider appointment of Tree Warden. Council had previously appointed a Tree Warden to take special interest in trees within the parish and particularly on land owned or managed by Council. Following discussion, it was resolved that a Tree Warden would not be appointed at this time. Cllr Wearne was willing to continue with his interest in the management/maintenance of open spaces by Council,
  • To consider information regarding tree survey. Cllr Wearne advised that he had met with a specialist and examination of all trees on Council owned/managed land had been undertaken. A report detailing the health and future maintenance requirements would be received in due course.

PC19/199: Community: Cllrs Anson, Bosworth, Luscombe, Marshall, Wearne & Wood

  • To receive further update following erratic and temporary loss of Post Office outreach services available at the Village Hall. Concerns regarding the poor level of service had been addressed to the temporary postmaster and to the new Area Manager for the post office. There had been some improvement to delivery of services and the situation would continue to be monitored.
  • To confirm repairs to interpretation/diorama board, at Carn Marth, following vandalism. Replacement panels had now been supplied and would be installed in the coming weeks.

PC19/200: Parish Assets:

Toilets and Playing Fields: Cllr Wearne & Wood

  • Safety Inspections
    Cllr Wearne advised that all inspections had been completed and minor repairs and rectifications completed. There were no matters for the attention of Council.
  • To report on further vandalism to the toilets at Lanner Moor Playing Field and subsequent actions.
    Cllr Wearne advised that further vandalism to the control box for the lockable toilet doors had occurred. To prevent this all electrical installations, including the control panel, were now housed within one protective box. This should prevent further vandalism and damage to the locking programming device.
  • To consider installation of CCTV at Lanner Moor Playing Field
    Due to the high level of vandalism, particularly at the toilets, that still continued Council supported the principle of the installation of CCTV. Quotes for supply would be obtained and considered as part of the budget setting for 2020/21.

Lawn Cemetery & Churchyard: Cllrs Luscombe, Wearne and Wood

  • To receive update on status of works. Works to the creation of the entrance continued but progress had been delayed by periods of severe wet weather. Cllr Wearne reported on his investigations into the position and supply of gates and a quotation had been received. It was agreed that further consideration of this would be made once the gabions and tarmac were all in place. Council were advised of the remaining budget to support this project and it was agreed that (as anticipated) final works may not all be possible until the new financial year.
  • To receive update on ‘Service Level Agreement’, to support devolution of works and future management, from Cornwall Council following ‘closure’ of Churchyard. The Service Level Agreement had been signed and accepted by Cornwall Council and a purchase order to allow reclaim of costs would be issued in the near future. Cormac were currently undertaking a full survey of the boundary hedges, trees/shrubs and headstones to determine future works some of which may be completed in partnership with Council and volunteers.
  • To consider formation of team of volunteers to complete survey of burials at the Churchyard. Cllr Watson had previously indicated interest in this project and invitation would be extended to those currently volunteering in other projects and local residents to participate in this initiative. Weather conditions may necessitate competition in the spring months.

Lanmoor Entrance splays:

  • To receive information from Cornwall Council regarding devolution with an interim license to occupy. No reply had been received from Charlotte Caldwell, Community Link Officer, Cornwall Council.
    Council indicated extreme disappointment that, despite repeated requests, this matter had not progressed or even been acknowledged by CC. It was resolved to communicate this to Charlotte Caldwell, with copy to more senior officers, and request urgent attention and reply.

PC19/201: Correspondence:

  • Cornwall Council: Localism Summit – agenda – noted.
  • Power for People – electricity bill – circulated.
  • Tour of Britain – event 2020 – noted.
  • Carharrack Feed Stores – feedback on Newsletter – noted.
  • Lanner school – letter of thanks from pupil, Isabella, for arranging the cutting of footpath to ensure safe passage for a field trip.

PC19/202: Date of next meeting:
Council meeting: Thursday 28 November 2019
Planning meeting: Thursday 14 November 2019

There being no further business the meeting closed at 10.15 pm.

PCmins191024

Leave a Reply

Add an image (JPEG only)

MENU