History of the Parish

Lanner Parish – History

The name “Lanner” comes from the Cornish “Lannergh“, which means “a clearing”. The village is a former tin and copper mining parish which grew rapidly in the 19th century, but has been recorded as far back as 1542, and with settlement traces back to the Bronze Age.

Michael Loam erected his first man engine at Tresavean mine, Lanner, in 1842. The mine was, in its heyday, one of the most productive copper mines in Cornwall.

Church history

The parish church, Christ Church, is in the Diocese of Truro and was consecrated on St Swithin’s day, 1845. It is a small stuccoed building and was restored in 1883. The registers date from 1839.

The foundation stone of the Anglican chapel (which became the parish church in 1844) in Lanner was laid on 20 April 1839. The Times reported that “On Wednesday, the 20th ult., the first stone of a new chapel at Lanner, in Gwennap, was laid by the Venerable Archdeacon Sheepshanks”. Until constituted a parish in 1844 Lanner (or Lannarth) was part of the parish of Gwennap.

Lanner has a large Wesleyan Methodist chapel. The former Bible Christian chapel is now used as the Village Hall.

(information taken from Wikipedia )

Population

Lanner was created from part of Gwennap parish in 1845. Population figures before this date are with that parish. Latterly, Lanner has been enumerated with St Day.

Population in 1851 – 2,710 persons
Population in 1861 – 2,615  persons
Population in 1871 – 2,348 persons
Population in 1881 – 1,813 persons
Population in 1891 – 2,055 persons
Population in 1901 – 1,801 persons
Population in 1911 – 1,895 persons
Population in 1921 – 1,756 persons
Population in 1931 – 3,785 persons
Population in 1951 – 3,758 persons
Population in 1961 – 3,517 persons
Population in 1971 – 4,364 persons
Population in 1981 – 2,090 persons
Population in 1991 – 2,145 persons
Population in 2001 – 2,493 persons
Population in 2011 – 2,690 persons

The parish comprises 1460 acres of land.

Below is a map of the Parish boundary.

 

lanner-parish

 

 

MENU